The 9 de Julio Avenue of Buenos Aires

The 9 de Julio Avenue of Buenos Aires

The 9 de Julio Avenue is the main avenue in Buenos Aires, capital of Argentina.

The Argentinian say that this is the world’s widest avenue, but this information needs further discussion… They consider that this avenue is the combination of two central traffic lanes, plus two side ones (Carlos Pellegrini Street and Cerrito). Regardless of whether it is the world’s widest or not, it is really huge. It is 140 meters wide and 4 km long.

The name of 9 de Julio Avenue is a tribute to the date when the independence of Argentina was declared, before the Spanish crown. It took place in 1816 in the city of San Miguel de Tucumán.

Its construction started in 1912 and it took 18 years to be complete. It underwent several changes until the recent year of 1980.

In a trip to Bueno Aires it is impossible not to pass through this avenue several times. Let’s get to know some of its buildings and monuments that are worth to see there.

Obelisco

The Obelisco is the most important monument of the 9 de Julio Avenue and even of the city itself. It was designed by the (Argentinian) architect Alberto Prebisch and it was inaugurated in 1938 to celebrate the 400 years of the foundation of Buenos Aires. It was almost demolished after three years of its opening, but fortunately the decree that ordered such thing ended up vetoed.

It has 67,5 meters of height and a base with 6,8 meters on one of its four sides. In each one there are inscriptions that pay tribute to the history of Buenos Aires and Argentina. It is located at the intersection of 9 de Julio Avenue with Calle Corrientes, precisely where the Argentinian flag was hoisted for the very first time.

Eva Perón Building

The building, which initially hosted the Ministry of Public Works, is located in 9 de Julio Avenue and has 93 meters of height. In 2011 the north and south façades were added, giant murals depicting Eva Perón. Each of these murals is 31 meters high and 24 meters wide.

The work was carried by the Argentinian Alejandro Marmo and its goal is to advocate for Evita as a political and cultural icon. This was the place where she made a historic speech before her death in 1952.

In daylight we see a portrait of Evita made of iron and at night there is another one with several lights.

Teatro Colón

Teatro Cólon is the main opera house in Buenos Aires and one of the best theaters in the world. It opened in 1908 after several years of remodeling made by a partnership established between three architects. It was elected as a national historical monument.

It was not always located in the same place. Before being located right next to 9 de Julio Avenue, the building was in Plaza de Mayo, where the Bank of Argentina can be found nowadays. In this location it was not as popular as it is now, in its current address.

Going to this Theater is mandatory when visiting Buenos Aires. To attend a show or to take a guided tour. The main hall is horseshoe-shaped and it can hold 2478 seating positions and 500 standing places. In its dome there are 16 canvases made by the Argentinian Raúl Soldi.

The orchestra pit has room for 120 musicians and, due to its characteristics, it can produce staggering acoustic conditions.

Iguazu Falls Monument

In the 9 de Julio Avenue there is a 280-meter long monument, half-circle shaped, which represents the Devil’s Throat. This is the waterfall whose flux is the most intense, among the 275 that constitute the famous Iguazu Falls.  This monument is a tribute to the fact that Iguazu Falls have been chosen as one of the Seven Modern Wonders of the Planet. They are located on the border between Brazil and Argentina.

Copacabana and the Portuguese pavement

Copacabana and the Portuguese pavement

Copacabana is a neighborhood located in the south of the city of Rio de Janeiro.

Its beach and promenade comprise one of the most well-known sites in the world, full of Cariocas, Brazilian people from other parts of the country and tourists from abroad.

The beach extends itself for 3 km and has a really wide area of sand. There, several sport and musical events are held, many sports are practiced such as volleyball and beach soccer, people walk, jog and talk. It’s always crowded, both day and night. (more…)

La Rambla or Las Ramblas of Barcelona

La Rambla or Las Ramblas of Barcelona

La Rambla was a place through which the rainwater would flow in rainy days.

The word derives from the Arab ramla, meaning “sandy riverbed”. Today, the Catalonians call a wide street with trees a Rambla.

In the Middle Ages, the river was the city’s limit. It was only later on, when the walls which surrounded the river were torn down (amidst the city’s expansion), that the area became a place to stroll. (more…)

Pin It on Pinterest