The history of Herdade do Esporão

The history of Herdade do Esporão

Nowadays, the international reputation of the Portuguese wines is undisputable.

There are several wine-growing regions, with one of the widest being the one of Alentejo. This is the location of the Esporão Estate, located side by side with the historic town of Reguengos de Monsaraz. It comprises 1830 hectares, of which 450 are vineyards of the most distinct castes, 80 hectares are occupied by olive groves and 600 are meadows, groves and plantations of holm oak.

The landscape is bounded to the west by the Degebe river, being crossed from north to south by the Caridade creek and centered by the reservoir, which occupies 120 hectares. It is considered of the oldest delimited properties of Monsaraz. (more…)

The Port Wine

The Port Wine

Grapes have been continuously planted in Portugal since the ancient times and the Romans used the Douro River’s banks to make wine.

Many years later, in 1368, England and Portugal signed a treaty in which trading relationships were established between the two. Due to it, a great share of the Portuguese wine was exported to England in exchange for codfish.

In 1654, special privileges were given to the English and Scottish merchants who happened to live in Portugal. Wool and cotton fabrics were exchanged for cereals, fruits, olive oil and “red Portugal” (expression applied to the wine back then). Around that time, the trading kernel was located in Viana do Castelo. (more…)

Pin It on Pinterest